Sunday, November 11, 2012

Tweed, Velvet and Silk


 One of my favorite things to do when styling an outfit is to mix fabrics and textures.  I think it can add interest to a classic look (have I mentioned how much I love tweed...well, I do.)  This is one of my favorite skirts to wear in the fall, it belongs to my "skirts I will wear until I die" club.


  It is old, and still in perfect condition (thank you Jcrew) and makes a debut every autumn (its a brown and green mixed tweed...these pictures aren't great.  The top is a sage-y green).  Through the years as I add tweeds to my wardrobe, I still don't find any I like better than this little number.  Oh and the lovely velvet ribbon tie, forget about it (that last bit must be said in a New York accent)!  



I thought I'd share a couple of pictures from our fabulous snowy weekend.  We woke up to a TON of snow Saturday morning.  It was so lovely and perfect (picture top right).  The bottom right picture is how deep the snow was.  After only one snow storm it was up above my ankles!  As last year we really only had one big snow storm and we didn't get to go sledding once, we thought that we should go asap.  We jumped into the car and headed with some friends to a great little spot for sledding one of my friends told me about...it was good.

The snow was pretty deep and to be honest, sometimes when we go places as a family like this, I consider myself the family photographer and don't do very much playing, but more watching and capturing my husband and boys at play.  This time however I was brave and went sledding!  This was a big step for me since I really haven't been since I was a teenager (and as many times as I have taken my kids you can see how lame I am...).  I was actually FREAKED out to go and made Josh go down the first time with me (picture top left, Palmer gave us a big push to start :)

It ended up being such a fun day despite a major collision with a tree, and luckily the boy colliding with said tree, ended up being okay (and I think next time we go, we will be wearing helmets, sledding can be dangerous!)


This is probably my favorite picture of the day.  McKay loved going down the hills, but he would squeeze his eyes as tight as he possibly could every time.  It was so cute :)

I hope everyone had a lovely weekend, thanks for reading!


 Top: Ann Taylor | Skirt: Jcrew | Boots: Amazon | Bag: Kate Spade | Necklace: Jcrew and gift | 
Sunglasses: Banana Republic Factory

29 comments:

  1. love the outfit and look at that snow! just beautiful!

    xx amy
    Leopard and Lillies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a beautiful snowy weekend! Love the tweed skirt and pearls Emily:)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, look at that snow. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that skirt! And your snowy weekend looks like so much fun :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look beautiful! I love all the different textures together.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  6. That outfit looks so pretty against the white snow! We had our first snowstorm on Wed, but it all melted already which I'm fine with!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous look! That skirt is awesome and I love the boots too. We got snow this weekend too. Yuck! I'm such a bad mom in the winter because I am way too much of a wuss to leave my house when it drops below 40, so the kids have to wait for Patrick or friends to go sledding and stuff. LOL But hot cocoa and baking and lounging? I am really good at that in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe all the snow you have!?! /:) We are supposed to get some today in Chicago so we'll see what happens ;) Lover style!

    xo
    summer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely love your outfit - everything about it is perfect. And look at all the snow... Winter is definitely coming. :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this skirt! Playing in the snow looks so fun - I wish we got snow like that in our area!

    xo Peyton
    identicalideals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I need that skirt!! So amazing!! Stay warm!!


    Corbynn

    thesistersinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This outfit looks so pretty esp. with the snow!

    Lindsey
    http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love tweed! I have several tweed suits that are probably my favorite cold weather picks! This skirt is such a great classic to hang on to! I can't believe you guys have so much snow already!

    Thanks for following! Following back on gfc!
    -Tiffany
    http://stylesidebar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This look is gorgeous. And the photos look incredible with the snow.
    Meredith
    createthatoutfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The skirt is really beautiful, and it feets you perfectly. I love the sunglasses. I am following you from Rome, I hope you will follow me back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah yes, snow! The fashion bloggers background friend! LOL!
    Lovely outfit, the colors are so cute!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful and classy look! You are so brave to pose in the cold!
    XO,
    Zhanna
    www.lifeandbows.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look absolutely gorgeous! The first shot looked straight out of a magazine, so pretty! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your outfit here! That is such a beautiful skirt! And the colors are neutral; ahh, I love neutrals! This outfit fits you perfectly. I need that skirt and that pair of boots.

    Love this outfit!

    5ftandpetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you had some great winter fun!! Loving your tweed skirt... The velvet tie is such a great detail!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think all J.Crew tweeds are amazing! I just laid my hands on one and I'm very impressed! Lovely look Emily and I can't believe it already snowed this much there!
    Love
    Juneli from Fashionably Yours

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a classy outfit...I love the pearls! Thanks for linking up :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the tweed skirt paired with your slouchy boots - you look warm in spite of your surroundings. :)

    Sequins&Stilettos

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't believe you have snow already! Pretty outfit!

    Melissa
    www.prettyinpolkadot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.