Tuesday, October 9, 2012

To Hoard Or Not To Hoard...


Today I tried to get my bins of winter clothes organized into my closet (tried being the key word there).  I don't keep all of my clothes in my closet year round because 1-I like to make room for other things and 2-it is fun to pull things out each season and feel like they are new-ish.

Each season when I put things back into my closet, I go through my clothes and take out of things that I don't wear to give to the D.I. (thrift store in Utah).  I get this weird thrill off getting rid of unused things.  My poor husband, I am always going through his clothes saying "what about this, you don't wear it, and someone else might love it!" I guess I just can't stand the thought of something going to waste.
 That is not to say that I don't have certain things that I am attached to.  I have lots of clothes that I adore and that I refuse to get rid of (and which show up regularly on this blog) just because I have had them for a while.  One of my favorite things is taking something and reinventing it into something new or wearing it in a new way that I haven't before (total nerd right?).
 And then there are those things in my closet that I CAN'T seem to bring myself to get rid of them.  I don't have too many of these, but I do have them.  Like those Dr. Martin sandals that I bought right before I left on my mission (I served an 18 month mission for my church) and when I came back they were out of style but they were still brand new and for some reason, I can't part with them.  I tried once to wear them and quickly took them off again.  I try every D.I. day to get rid of them, but they are still there on the bottom of my closet collecting dust.  Not sure why, but I am sure one day I will get rid of them (maybe they are my version of hoarding :).

What about you?  Do you tend to hold onto things, get rid of them quickly, or somewhere in between?


Top: Layers | Skirt: Old Navy | Boots: Famous Footwear | Belt: Target | Watch: Buckle | Bag: Kate Spade | Sunglasses: Nordstrom | Necklaces Maceys and F21
pleated poppy

29 comments:

  1. im so that person that holds on to things for WAY too long! Even if I don't wear it its so hard to part with because I feel like the minute I give it away I'll find a use for it! I love your boots! And that skirt looks just like a dress I forgot I had -haha!

    -Jessi
    haircutandgeneralattitude.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting rid of unused things too! I love your outfit here-very cute!

    xx

    Erin @ http://www.truffles-ruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. you definetely area a super cool mom!
    kisses
    www.petitgraphie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this outfit! looks comfy chic! don't worry, I have a hard time getting rid of stuff as well.

    xx amy
    Leopard and Lillies

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving your bohemian look.
    Your skirt is fab

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the skirt!!

    xo, Christina

    www.thestylestorm.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. great look! i am always having to get rid of stuff as well :)

    XO Meghan
    citrusrefreshingfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oye... i have the same debate constantly... love the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love getting rid of things when I don't wear them, it's only hard for me when there's a story behind where or why I bought it..:)
    xx Kate

    http://style-department.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have such a hard time parting with my clothes, even if I haven't worn them for years. I always wonder if one day I'll want to wear it again.

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Jewelry Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally relate with you on your storage thoughts....& you're wearing a perfect Fall look there!!

    REBECCA
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look beautiful, I love the shades of gray in this outfit. Your skirt is so cute!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm. There are days when I could get rid of everything, and days I want to keep it all! But most of the time I'm somewhere in between!
    Love the outfit! The pink pop of color is perfect for this grey toned outfit!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute! I especially love that belt...I have this obsession with snake skin. I should probably clean out my closet...but you just never know when something will come back in style!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate when I have to change out my clothes! i try to get rid of things but am bad at it! I LOVE this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love this skirt!! Like I may need to order it:) I am a get rid of it girl & the Mr. hangs onto things from high school. It's a battle:) I have to sneak things out when he's not looking. And cross my fingers that he never asks about it.
    xx, amy
    www.dreamingincashmere.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tend to hold on to things. I always know there will be a time in the future that I wished I would have kept it. Love those boots!
    Meredith
    createthatoutfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I recently cleaned out my closet, I got rid of so many things! My boyfriend and I ended up getting rid of 7 huge bags of clothes and shoes I couldn't believe 7! =). Cute outfit.

    -V
    http://stylishlyme.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I could really use your help going through my closet! I am the WORST at getting rid of things. I always come up with some scenario where I would need it to justify shoving it back into my closet. I admire your ability to part with things!

    Corbynn

    thesistersinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute outfit em! And as for me...I hang on to stuff. I probably still have something in my closet from high school!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I definitely hold on to way too much stuff that I don't need/wear. That's so cool that you served a mission...I know it's not the same, but I hope to go on one with my husband some day :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't get rid of my pre-pregnancy weight clothes wishing that I's miraculously go back to my pre-baby weight:)

    XOXO
    Ty

    Pls. check out some of my looks on BestTrendsForever.com


    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so me!!! I love to get rid of stuff, but there are some things I just can't part with....like an old green Aldo bag that I NEVER carry, but I just don't want anyone else to have it. Is that greedy? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really love this look on you! favorite one so far!

    oliviamoone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha, that's awesome. After months and months of begging my mom to let me get Doc Marten sandals in high school (mostly because all the popular girls had them), I got them only to see them fall out of style shortly thereafter. Seriously?! Yeah. Call me delusional, but I have a feeling we'll see something similar one day, though it might be years from now.

    http://ajourneyinstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I helped my friend clean out her closet a few years ago and I made her get rid of her doc marten sandals and I always wonder if she regrets it. They may make a comeback some day!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.