Monday, April 16, 2012

Stripes...

 This past weekend I wore this outfit to the ballet with my friend Kristen.  I love everything girly and the ballet, especially "The Little Mermaid," was a celebration of all things feminine.  It was so fun and we were surrounded by cute moms with their daughters all dressed up.  We headed to "tea" afterward, but sadly the tea shop that we were going to has gone out of business (I think I said we were "going to tea" about 1200 times because it just sounded cool.  Literally 1200 :)  The other two tea shops in Salt Lake only take reservations so our tea party had to be postponed (we had to drown our sorrows in the amazing food of the California Pizza Kitchen.  I discovered a new salad that I have been dreaming about since so I guess all's well that ends well :). 
 I always thought that I would take my little girls to the ballet (and to tea), but now that I have all boys (which I totally love), I am trying to decide if I dare take them...I think they might like it, but I have to find the perfect one.  I might try the Nutcracker this Christmas. 
 Our boys play just about every sport (although karate and hockey haven't been played yet but they have started asking...)  I love art, music, theater and ballet and am hoping that I can share that love with my boys.  I am developing a love of sports that I have never had before.  My husband is always way impressed when I throw out random sports trivia (so I try to do it whenever possible...it really isn't that impressive but the hubs is thrilled with anything that shows I am liking sports...he's a huge fan). 

  I have already gotten the boys on board with theater.  We have taken them to the plays "Peter Pan" and "Beauty and the Beast" and they were thrilled with them (my four year old at the time fell in love with Wendy who was about 30:).  The two oldest are taking piano lessons and I really hope that inspires a love of music.  I really hope that I can get them on board with ballet, but that might be a tougher sell.  My husband is a good sport to go with me (and he admits that Cinderella was good.  The step sisters were played by men and it was just hilarious!), but I think he is happy when I go with Kristen.  I guess we will see.  I am determined to get the arts in somehow :)  I believe that boys should be well rounded and cultured just as girls should be!

I watched the Heisman Trophy ceremony one year with the hubs (yep major brownie points), and that year a boy name Sam Bradford won it.  I was so absolutely impressed with his parents who had insisted he pick an instrument to play as well as sports. The kid played the cello while he was one the high school football team.  I hope my boys will be that well rounded.

Alright that is all, thanks for indulging my random mommy rant :)
 Sweater: Forever 21 (similar) | Shirt: Banana Republic | Skirt: Banana Republic (similar)| Boots: Aldo (similar) | Necklace: Jcrew | Belt: Forever 21 | Sunnies: Banana Republic Outlet

89 comments:

  1. I love all of the pearls, perfect for going to the theater! (We never get big shows that come up here, but we do have a very talented local theater group that puts on amazing plays, so we make do. ^_^) You look very lovely and lady-like, but very cool at the same time. The patterned shirt peeking out from under the striped sweater is quite fun.

    Mommy rants are totally cool, I know I do them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie! Love other mommy ranters :)

      Delete
  2. looking so great. i'm totally agree with you about the culture and art. i'm mom to two girls and follow now ;). come and visit my blog when you have time :)))

    http://excurlythoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Love to meet other mommy fashion bloggers! I am following you back, love your blog!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your wonderful comment! You - very feminine! Keep it up! Brava!




    http://designer2078.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY CHIC DEAR! I LOVE YOUR SUNGLASSES TOO!

    ✿✿✿letizia

    http://www.letiziabarcelona.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow ,you look gorgeous ♡
    Great Outfit!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. perfect skirt!

    www.aroundlucia.com
    www.aroundlucia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love it! Thanks for stopping by, love your blog!

      Delete
  7. Love stripes!

    xoxo

    http://www.lolitainthemix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi swetie!

    I love your looks, always classic and chic.
    I love the ballet too so magic. It´s really nice that your boys playing sports.

    XOXO

    http://annchic.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  9. You look very chic in this outfit and with your hair pulled back! A really great outfit for a ballet :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful!!!
    :)

    DIY and more:
    http://diyearte.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Mica! Love your last post.

      Delete
  12. thanks for your comment dear. your style is lovely!

    X, Annie
    www.anniwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oops, somehow I just deleted my own comment. You look beautiful and I love the red shirt peeking through! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just read your blog, lovely outfit!!

      Delete
  15. Looking very sophisticated in black and white, Emily! I love that you gave it a little hint of color with the button down. Sorry you didn't get to go to tea. :(

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, I am determined to go again soon though:) Love your guest post today, so cute!

      Delete
  16. This is beautiful Emily! I love the way you updated a classic monochrome look with that gorgeous printed shirt and the pearls, lovely! xxx

    http://aurelieandangelo.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment. Love your blog!!

      Delete
  17. Love the stripes and all the pearls - so pretty, and perfect for the Ballet :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful outfit, thans for your comment!
    wanna love follow each other, I've just started!!
    love,
    http://ohitisfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would love to follow each other. I just followed you :) Follow me back!! So excited to see your future posts!!

      Delete
  19. i've never been to the ballet....dying to go. my hubby tried to surprise me last xmas and i got sick. =( sounds amazing.

    xoxo, jenn
    the stylish housewife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to go Jenn! I think it is breathtaking to watch the ballerinas dance. I love it.

      Delete
  20. Very cute outfit!
    xx



    The Urban Umbrella
    xoxo


    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. love the boots!

    http://www.thechicclassmate.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. love stripes!

    if I can give an opinion, those sunnies are perfect for your face.

    Gosia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gosia for such such a lovely comment.

      Delete
  23. Girl. Four boys??? You are the bravest woman on the planet! I have two boys and one girl and that is just a handful in and of itself. I hope that you are able to instill such diversity in your boys. Sounds like you are doing a great job so far! Lovely stripes here. Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, brave or nuts :) They are wild and so fun. It is always an adventure!

      Delete
  24. Very pretty, love this look with the boots!

    http://nyorkeratheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very chic outfit ;)!
    Kisses

    http://cynthiasblog.over-blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. love the stripes and the low ballerina bun! gorgeous! xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE those boots -so classy!!

    Sarah
    sarahsavvystyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those pearls are beautiful! They are so creamy (hahaha) and rich looking, just love them.

    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    Enter my Shabby Apple GIVEAWAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha love it! Any time the word creamy can be used I am a fan :) Thanks Cambria!

      Delete
  29. Love the pink with the stripes!

    www.amyisthinking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. striped sweater is my favorite! hands down. you look great!
    xoxo, great little day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! Just checked out your cute blog. Love it!

      Delete
  31. JUST CHIC

    amazing black stripes OUTFIT...nice long skirt...and perfect SUNGLASSES...allways cool.

    XOXO from MUNICH

    LA
    VIE
    QUOTIDIENNE

    www.laviequo.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I haven't been to the ballet in ages, but sounds like a great day despite the lack of tea! I love your outfit, you look so chic! The pop of color with the shirt and those great accessories really complete the look. Your sunglasses are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cara! You need to definitely do a ballet trip soon :) It really was a lovely day. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  33. I really wanted to be a ballerina when I was little because I thought the tutus were so pretty. That's great that your sons are playing piano too, it's good to be well rounded :) Love the outfit you wore to see the ballet, I like stripes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joyce. I wanted to be a ballerina too (also for the tutus :) THanks for visiting!

      Delete
  34. You look so classy! I'm loving the stripes. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  35. thanks for visiting my blog!

    stripes are my fav! i love how these stripes on your sweater is the perfect thickness.

    modern.girl

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this outfit! So perfect for a cooler spring day!

    Sara
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! Loving your last post, that skirt is awesome!

      Delete
  37. This look is so fabulous and sophisticated. The stripes and pearls are timeless and lady-like. I am sorry your tea dreams got dashed, but very glad you enjoyed the ballet. :)

    http://theclosetintervention.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kassi! I will definitely be attempting the tea room again :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  38. This is such a pretty outfit. I'm so glad I found your blog. Your style is timeless! AND affordable! Best of both worlds :)

    A Southern Drawl

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love the stripes, so fun! I think working on making sure your boys are well rounded and exposed to hobbies and practices beyond just the stereotypical boy stuff will only serve them well in the future.
    C Marcia (Sequins)

    ReplyDelete
  40. LOVE THE MIXING OF PATTERNS ON THIS OUTFIT, SUPER FAB!

    WWW.COMEWHATMAEE.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.